Every year, Beloit College releases the “mindset” list of the entering freshmen class. The list is filled with interesting facts that look at what “reality” is for these students just entering college. Not only does the list always make me feel old, but it also serves as a reminder of how rapidly our world is changing.
Highlights from the Class of 2015 Mindset List include:
- Ferris Bueller and Sloane Peterson could be their parents.
- The only significant labor disputes in their lifetimes have been in major league sports.
- There have always been at least two women on the Supreme Court, and women have always commanded U.S. Navy ships.
- Amazon has never been just a river in South America.
- Refer to LBJ, and they might assume you’re talking about LeBron James.
- Video games have always had ratings.
- O.J. Simpson has always been looking for the killers of Nicole Simpson and Ronald Goldman.
- They’re the first generation to grow up hearing about the dangerous overuse of antibiotics.
- Some of them have been inspired to actually cook by watching the Food Channel.
- They’ve always wanted to be like Shaq or Kobe: Michael Who?