Skip links

Immigration Process for Student Visas to the USA

An important final step for international students is to complete required immigration paperwork.  Once you have been admitted to a school and expressed your commitment to attend, you must officially send in a deposit, usually by May 1st.  Some schools will ask you to begin the immigration paperwork process prior to depositing in order to ensure that you receive your visa on time.  You will first be asked to submit a Declaration of Finances form, which outlines how you plan on paying for your academic program and other expenses for one year.  This form requires you to submit official bank documents stating that you have a certain amount (determined by the school you are attending) of funds available either from your parents, official sponsor, or those granted to you through financial aid.  You also may be asked to submit a copy of your passport with your Declaration of Finances Form.  Once the university receives your Declaration of Finances form, you will be issued an I-20 Form.  This is the official US government form you will need in order to apply for F-1 student visa.  You will have to apply for your visa at the nearest U.S. Consulate.   It can sometimes take weeks to obtain a visa interview, so it is important to fill out all of your immigration paperwork in a timely manner.

Ask Us Anything…

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.