Community College and PSEO Classes Can Lead to University Success


I have periodically written about the virtues of taking college classes while in high school. These “post-secondary enrollment options”(or “PSEO”) are becoming very important pathways to college for two reasons.

First, taking college credits while still in high school can greatly reduce the cost of a college education, especially because students with PSEO credits can transfer them directly to the flagship university in their home state.

Second, they can help prepare kids for the rigors of a college education. Students who take and complete college-level courses are going to be more desirable to colleges. Universities want to admit people that they believe have a high probability of successfully completing their degree. Students who have a record of college success as high school students clearly have an edge in the admissions process.

An article from last year’s Denver Post illustrates that more Colorado high schoolers are taking college courses.  Some of them are even landing at places like Harvard, because Harvard recognizes and rewards students who take their education seriously.

This trend is continuing, and state policies are changing to reflect this reality.  As of this past week, the University of Colorado will now guarantee admission to any student in the state who has 30 hours of credit from a community college and a GPA of 2.7 on a 4.0 scale.

Published by Mark Montgomery

Mark is a leading educational consultant. His experience as a professor, college administrator, and youth mentor help him guide students from around the country and around the world.

Join the Conversation


  1. I am going to be a senior on year 11-12. I have made the decision to go full time PSEO in a community college and planning on getting my two year degree. I am planning to move and go to college in california after that. My biggest worry is are they gonna accept the credits I took for my generals? Would i be able to transfer to a college or university and start my 3rd year in college. please help

  2. Hi Stephanie,
    My advice is to connect with the universities in California to which you’d like to transfer and ask them about credit transfers from Minnesota. Tell them your plan and ask for their advice. Generally, if you are taking “general education” courses at the community college, they should transfer relatively easily. But know that each university has its own policies about such things. So give them a call or send an email.
    Best of luck.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *