Need more time for the SAT or ACT? Let’s get started!

The College Board is responsible for determining appropriate accommodations for students who need them. Accommodations can be approved for how all testing materials are presented (large-print materials, audio DVD), how answers are recorded (computer, Braille recorder), and how the tests are timed (extended time, testing over multiple days).  To apply for accommodations, follow these simple steps:


Forms: Complete the Student Eligibility Form with your high school’s Special Education Coordinator.

When: Do it as early as possible, preferably in the spring before the year you plan to take the test.

What to look for in the mail: You’ll receive an eligibility letter that will explain the accommodations that the College Board has approved for you.  The letter also includes an SSD Eligibility Code.  You’ll need this SSD Eligibility Code when you register to take the test.  Your school will also receive a letter that outlines your accommodations.


Forms: Complete either the Application for ACT Extended-Time National Testing OR the Request for ACT Special Testing Form with the help of the Special Education Coordinator at your high school.

When: Do this as early as possible. The final deadline is typically four weeks prior to the date of testing.

What to look for in the mail: If you’ve been approved for accommodations, it will be noted on an admission ticket and a letter that you will receive in the mail.  Your school will also receive a letter explaining your accommodations.

While you are required to complete separate applications for an accommodated SAT and an accommodated ACT test, once you’ve been approved, you don’t need to apply for accommodations again.  And if you decide to complete either test more than once, you can register for accommodated testing either online or by paper.  Just remember to include your code.

Good luck!

Heather Creech, M.A. CCC-SLP
Educational Consultant

Published by Mark Montgomery

Mark is a leading educational consultant. His experience as a professor, college administrator, and youth mentor help him guide students from around the country and around the world.

Join the Conversation


  1. What should I do if my initial request was denied? I did not find anything about an appeal process on the college board’s website. Thank you.

  2. Dear Emily,
    Appeals will have to be submitted by your school counselor. But it is rare that the College Board or ACT would offer any recourse: they not only grade the tests, but they decide who gets accommodation and who does not. They are pretty strict about it.
    You may want to consider test optional schools, too. And if the tests are really bad, be sure to consider disclosing the LD on the application.
    Hope this is helpful!

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *